Monday, August 22

Grilled Tilapia With Herbs

There are many great healthy diets out there but my doctor recommended the Dash diet or the Mediterranean diet.  My husband works in a hospital cath lab and the resident cardiologists all stand by the Mediterranean diet, so we're opting for that program.  It consists of eating mostly fish and chicken, vegetables and good fats such as olive oil.  Grilled fish is one of my favorite ways to eat fish. 

First, I gather a handful of lemon thyme from the garden. I strip about a teaspoon of leaves off the stems and place it in a bowl. I add about a tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 tsp. of garlic pepper and the same amount of kosher salt. I mix this together well and brush it on the thawed fish, which I had place on a sheet of foil. I then lay the remainder of the lemon thyme on top of the fish, leaving on the stems, as below.



I preheat the grill, then turn it down on low. I place the foil with the fish on the grill and close the lid. I turn it once, leaving on loose thyme so it was on the bottom. I continue to check it often, and turn it once more. It was almost cooked to where it was flaking, so I dotted the fish with a small amount of butter (at the most a tablespoon). When it melted, and the fish cooked, I removed it from the grill and placed it on plates. I served it with potatoes I had microwaved, then cut in chunks and sauteed in a pan with butter, seasoning with salt and pepper.



As always, I have to give you some variations you may wish to try. If you don't have lemon thyme, regular garden thyme will work, and a little lemon juice added to the mixture. You can also use minced or crushed garlic and freshly ground pepper instead of garlic pepper. I do both, depending on what I feel like. This would work with any white fish fillets such as catfish or perch.

~Brenda

The Last of the Roses in Autumn

The milkweed pods are breaking,   And the bits of silken down   Float off upon the autumn breeze   Across the meadows brown. ~C...