Tuesday, September 20

Rose Are Tough, and So Are We




I believe in process. I believe in four seasons. I believe that

winter's tough, but spring's coming. I believe that there's a

 growing season. And I think that you realize that in life, you

 grow. You get better. ~Steve Southerland

The rose in these pictures bloomed this season, and as you can see, it's beautiful. I bought this rose many years ago when we first moved into our home in the country.  It was a bare root deal for about $3.00 at Tractor Supply.  It was my first rose purchase, and I knew nothing of the variety, but didn't have much money and really wanted to start somewhere. I planted it in our side yard, and it did not thrive.  In fact, it seemed to hate where I placed it.  I gave it one more season in that spot, and it didn't improve.  I carefully dug it up and moved it again. I think the rose gave a sigh, then continued to do poorly.  Once again, I gave it another season, and it still moped and didn't thrive.  

 I finally transplanted the poor thing to another spot and waited.  I tended it, doing nothing extreme.  This is the 10th season it has grown in that spot. Some years it is attacked by insects, or we get busy and I don't water it properly.  Despite this, every year it blooms. As you can see in the pictures above it is now a delicate, happy rose with deep green foliage; content in the location it settled into. 

I think I was like this rose in my early life. I was in the wrong place, with the wrong people and unhappy with my surroundings. I was almost 30 years old when I met my husband and we started a life together. I am now 62 years old and while many things have changed, my place beside him still nurtures my soul and makes me feel safe to thrive.

I hope you all find your safe space, if you haven't already. It's worth the wait. 



Rose Are Tough, and So Are We

I believe in process. I believe in four seasons. I believe that winter's tough, but spring's coming. I believe that there&#...