Friday, November 9

Humor With Our Recipes

Today I have a recipe from The Ozark Pain Killer Cookbook & Home Medical Advisor by Kay White Miles. The cookbook is a small paper book with no publishing or copyright date. It's odd, but it's fun. 

Literary And Athletic Society Celebration Cookies 

 Melt 1/2 lb. margarine in square pan. 

 Add: 
1 cup graham crackers (crushed fine) 
1 cup shredded coconut 
1 packet chocolate chips 
1 packet butterscotch chips 
1 cup chopped pecans Spread all this and press down in pan. 

Add 1 large can condensed milk by spoonful over all. 

Bake in 325 degree F. oven for about 30 minutes. 

Do not over bake. Cool, best if set in refrigerator overnight, and then cut into squares. 
Also can be kept in freezer until a few minutes before serving. 

My notes: I have everything for this but the nuts so I'll have to pick those up. I'm wondering about the "packet". I think I'll go with a cup of each instead of an entire 12 ounce bag. I could be wrong but a square pan is usually 8x8 and that just seems like too many. I'll share a picture when I make it. 

Are you ready for some humor from the book? Here we go: 

Customer: "Give me a can of talcum powder, please."
Clerk: "Walk this way, please". 
ustomer: "If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need talcum powder." 

*snicker* One more recipe to share: 

Riots Have Been Started Over This Rice Pudding 

Cheery little lady in Clinton, Missouri gave us this recipe. She takes it to church suppers. Everybody rushes to get some before it's gone. Best rice pudding we've ever eaten! 

1 cup cooked rice 
1 cup milk 
1 cup coconut 
1 cup pecans, chopped 
1 cup sugar 
1 stick butter, melted 
3 eggs 

Mix as you put together and bake in slow oven until done. 

My notes: A slow oven would probably be about 300 degrees F. 

I hope you enjoyed the recipes and the humor. The author claims they are "recipes guaranteed to ease hunger pangs!". 

 ~Brenda

Rose Are Tough, and So Are We

I believe in process. I believe in four seasons. I believe that winter's tough, but spring's coming. I believe that there&#...