Monday, February 10

Monday Recipe: Chocolate Chip Coconut Bars

This isn't exactly a vintage recipe, but it did come from a collection of clippings I've had for years.  I had to share because they turned out SO delicious. I fooled with the recipe and baked a pan the other night with the dark chocolate chips I had in the pantry:)



Chocolate Chip Coconut Bars

Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter or stick margarine
1 cup brown sugar 
1 cup granulated sugar 
2 large eggs
1/4 water 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour 
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 cup coconut 
1 pkg. dark chocolate chips

Mix the butter (room temperature), sugars, eggs, vanilla and water until light and smooth. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then stir into the wet ingredients along with the coconut and chocolate chips. Place into a buttered or sprayed 9x13-inch pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. 

Notes: Margarine or butter can be used in this recipe as long as it's in stick form. It should be room temperature when used.  I loved the dark chocolate chips, but any chocolate chip can be used. I'm big on variations because I never seem to have the same ingredients on hand, so I experiment. This recipe came from some old clippings, and I changed it slightly.  

Many bars turn out dry, but this is moist.  When it comes out of the oven it continues to cook and firm up some, so don't over bake, then it will dry out.

Variations: 
-Oatmeal instead of coconut
-Butterscotch chips and oatmeal instead of chocolate chips and coconut
-Crushed nuts instead of coconut with toffee chips instead of chocolate

~Brenda

Rose Are Tough, and So Are We

I believe in process. I believe in four seasons. I believe that winter's tough, but spring's coming. I believe that there&#...